Director, Data Modeling
About this role
The role of the Director of Data Modeling (Semantics) is to develop, implement, and maintain enterprise ontologies/semantics in support of BlackRock Aladdin Data Strategy.
The Director of Data Modeling (Semantics), will be responsible for working collaboratively across Aladdin Data Stewards/Product, Lines of Business and Functions to develop domain ontologies/semantics in support of Aladdin Data initiatives. The Director of Semantics will be responsible for architecting, design, development and integration of semantic technology into Aladdin data products and services.
The Director of Data Modeling (Semantics) should be capable of supporting an emerging and evolving semantic program at BlackRock Aladdin Data team, capable of clearly communicating and advocating the value of using semantic technology and knowledge organization concepts.
- Immerse yourself in knowing your internal and/or external customer(s) by employing empathy and design thinking to define broad-scale semantic solutions that provide breakthrough leverage
- Model adaptability by encouraging continuous evolution to semantic strategy in light of industry trends, emerging solutions, new insights and changing customer and business needs
- Learn the financial drivers, externalities, and points of leverage within your domain to identify new solutions or enhancements that drive sustainable value for Aladdin Data
- Promote a culture anchored in data, used to model reality of intent and usage, validate outcomes, drive insights, and manage the business both tactically and strategically
- Foster a strong agile discipline and inspire teams to continuously improve delivery evidenced through key agility metrics
- Partner with Stewards/Product/Technology leaders to influence end-state architecture and drive secure, resilient, performant and scalable technology solutions that solve customer and business problems
- Have an open mind in understanding existing standards/solutions and assess opportunities for leveraging/adopting to the same, clearly defining minimum viable products, and always building/modeling with extensibility in mind
- Establish a long-term Semantics portfolio strategy, informed by customer and business needs, and partner with leaders and stakeholders to regularly drive alignment, secure resources and overcome impediments
- Attract, grow, empower, and inspire top Ontology, Data/Semantic Modeling talent as they develop and deliver on their local strategy in an iterative, outcome-focused and well-managed way
- Intellectually Curious. You’re comfortable navigating between the big ideas and executional realities to create an achievable strategic semantics vision. Comfortable with ambiguity, a hunger to learn and a seeker of new challenges.
- Communicator & Influencer. You’re comfortable influencing a group of executives as well as communicating your semantics vision clearly to your associates and partners. You can be open to different communication styles and listen carefully to diverse sets of ideas.
- Do-er. You’re biased toward action, and are willing to make commitments and trade-offs with other leaders to remove impediments for your team; you are a leader obsessed with delivering valuable in an iterative way focusing in minimum viable product
- Passionate & Customer Focus. You care about growing others and bringing them together around what’s possible. You have a desire and ability to connect with our external or internal customers to fully understand their needs and build long lasting relationships.
- Learner. You have an appetite to learn new things or new technologies all while exhibiting humbleness when exploring unknown technologies; you will seek for internal solutions before building new
- Team Player. You enjoy working with diverse people and driving the team toward a common goal. You are also able to coach others and be a mentor in Ontology and Data/Semantic Modeling.
- Bachelor’s degree in information science, computer science, engineering, library science, ontology, semantics or computational linguistics
- At least 8 years’ experience in a metadata field of work (ontology, taxonomy, semantics or computational linguistics)
- At least 4 years’ experience or training in semantic, ontology and linked data tools (Denodo, Dreamio)
- Financial services experience
- Master’s degree or PhD in information science, computer science, engineering, library science, ontology, semantics or computational linguistics
- 6+ years of experience translating business strategy and analysis into enterprise semantic solutions
- Familiarity with SQL or SPARQL
- Familiarity with graph databases and technologies
- Familiarity with Python
- Familiarity with JSON, OpenAPI/YAML, AVRO
- Familiarity with Agile principles, processes, and methodologies
- Familiarity with Azure
- Detail-oriented and an ability to problem-solve independently
- Strong reading and writing skills
- Strong project management experience
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to present ideas clearly and with confidence.
- Ability to work individually and with a team to meet deadlines
For New York City only: The salary range for this position is $210,000 – $267,500. Additionally, employees are eligible for an annual discretionary bonus, and benefits including heath care, leave benefits, and retirement benefits. BlackRock operates a pay-for-performance compensation philosophy and your total compensation may vary based on role, location, and firm, department and individual performance.
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about.
Our hybrid work model
BlackRock’s hybrid work model is designed to enable a culture of collaboration and apprenticeship that enriches the experience of our employees, while supporting flexibility for all. Employees are currently required to work at least 4 days in the office per week, with the flexibility to work from home 1 day a week. Some business groups may require more time in the office due to their roles and responsibilities. We remain focused on increasing the impactful moments that arise when we work together in person – aligned with our commitment to performance and innovation. As a new joiner, you can count on this hybrid model to accelerate your learning and onboarding experience here at BlackRock.
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children’s educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment – the one we make in our employees. It’s why we’re dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.