Director, Head of Supplier Diversity
About this role
The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Team at BlackRock is seeking an experienced professional to drive the Supplier Diversity Initiative on behalf of BlackRock.
Our approach to Supplier Diversity is aligned with the firm’s purpose to help more people experience financial well-being as well as supports our growth ambitions, strengthens our operational resiliency, and reinforces our commitment to the communities in which we operate. Our Supplier Diversity Initiative has a clear business rationale as it acknowledges and addresses growing interest from our clients, regulators, and employees.
The Director, Head of Supplier Diversity will directly report into BlackRock’s Global Head of DEI Client Engagement and will provide regular updates to internal and external boards and committees, attend conferences, and speak on BlackRock’s behalf on the overall status of its Supplier Diversity Initiative.
Additionally, the Head of Supplier Diversity will collaboratively work with the sourcing group to develop strategies aimed to consider a wider pool of suppliers. This role will also work with advocacy groups across the world to understand mechanisms on driving certifications/ classifications as this area continues to develop.
About BlackRock DEI
BlackRock's Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) practices are grounded in our business needs as a global firm. One of our core beliefs is that a diverse workforce with an inclusive and connected culture is a commercial imperative and indispensable to our success. Our ability to stay ahead of our clients' needs requires attracting top talent from across the world. We believe that diversity of mind, experiences and backgrounds helps us build stronger and better teams, avoid groupthink, and solve tough problems, today and in the future.
We recognize that equal access and equal opportunity is an important part of doing good business. As such, the firm’s Supplier Diversity Initiative is focused on diverse-owned businesses (defined as at least 51% owned, controlled, and operated by underrepresented groups, women, veterans, LGBTQ+ and other diverse categories) and small businesses having an opportunity to bid on direct contracting with the firm.
- Partner with the Global Head of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, Global Head of DEI Client Engagement, and the Sourcing & Vendor Management team to ensure the appropriate identification, qualification, and inclusion of diverse suppliers and small businesses in the bidding/sourcing.
- Implement and drive Supplier Code of Conduct & Ethics across the firm.
- Understanding Supplier Diversity Initiative challenges and industry developments.
- Provide strategic insight about Supplier Diversity to global and regional marketplaces.
- Present to various internal committees on our Supplier Diversity strategy.
- Function as the primary resource; establish strategic, effective relationships both internally and externally on supplier diversity issues.
- Represent the organization while attending various external supplier diversity focused industry events as well as internal supplier diversity meetings and board meetings when applicable.
- Answer RFP/ RFI client queries for the firm related to Supplier Diversity.
- Work with Legal & Compliance on supplier diversity data and information that can be shared with the public and other external parties.
- Develop a Tier 2 Spend program & supervise performance through Metrics.
- Update the internal WIKI page highlighting growth/ success stories of the Supplier Diversity Initiative.
- Align the functions, local, regional, and global organization to support our Supplier Diversity strategy.
- 5+ year track-record in creating, driving and continued development of a Supplier Diversity program.
- Supplier Diversity Compliance & Certifications.
- Knowledge of global market conditions and identifying growth opportunities; industry trends.
- Communication experience with senior management including Boards.
- Category planning and management experience.
- Creation of business cases and vendor selection.
- Project management experience with ability to run multiple projects.
- MS Office skills; particularly Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Reporting tools such as Tableau, Microsoft Power BI, SharePoint desired.
- Ability to operate both vertical and horizontally across a large complex organization.
- Effective communication skills and ability to influence and motivate others through oral and written presentations.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with internal partners and vendors.
- Analytical skills, able to demonstrate outstanding quantitative and analytical capabilities and ability to translate analysis into tactics and results.
- Handle issues to resolution, negotiating compromises for overall business benefit when required.
- Identify improvements to existing programs and processes.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent, with preferences for Procurement, Supplier Diversity, Supply Chain Management, Business Management, Program Management or Operations expertise.
For New York City only: The salary range for this position is $180,500 – $230,000. Additionally, employees are eligible for an annual discretionary bonus, and benefits including heath care, leave benefits, and retirement benefits. BlackRock operates a pay-for-performance compensation philosophy and your total compensation may vary based on role, location, and firm, department and individual performance.
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about.
Our hybrid work model
BlackRock’s hybrid work model is designed to enable a culture of collaboration and apprenticeship that enriches the experience of our employees, while supporting flexibility for all. Employees are currently required to work at least 4 days in the office per week, with the flexibility to work from home 1 day a week. Some business groups may require more time in the office due to their roles and responsibilities. We remain focused on increasing the impactful moments that arise when we work together in person – aligned with our commitment to performance and innovation. As a new joiner, you can count on this hybrid model to accelerate your learning and onboarding experience here at BlackRock.
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children’s educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment – the one we make in our employees. It’s why we’re dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.