Summer 2024 Intern - FedNow Developer Intern
Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta
CompanyFederal Reserve Bank of BostonAs an employee of the Boston Fed, you will work to promote sound growth and financial stability in New England and the nation. You will contribute to communities, the region, and the nation by conducting economic research, participating in monetary policymaking, supervising certain financial institutions, providing financial services and payments, playing a leadership role in the payments industry, and supporting economic well-being in communities through a variety of efforts. The Boston Fed is one of 12 Reserve Banks, and we serve all or parts of Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont. Our mission is accomplished through our Bank's values: diversity, equity and inclusion, innovation, integrity, and leadership.
This job is eligible for a hybrid schedule with some on-site work expected.
As a Software Developer Intern of the Developer Relations team for FedNow, you will work on the team that develops software tools, utilities, and code samples for FedNow customer technical teams. The team builds modern frontend and backend tools that will help the customers integrate with FedNow services. Your passion for software development and interest in building software applications will allow you to help our team define our vision and establish technical best practices. You will work closely with Engineers and Architects of the FedNow program to develop modern software tools. The ideal candidate is someone who has an appetite to learn, and a passion for technology, innovation, and developing new skills on evolving technologies.
You will be working with the Engineers, Architects and QA teams to help develop and test software that will impact FedNow customers directly on the following:
- Work with AWS environments & services.
- Participate in definition/development of interfaces/APIs, prototyping new concepts, develop and improve the tools already in place.
- Work with open-source technologies as needed.
- Work in an Agile environment for projects.
- Stay current with industry trends and source new ways for our business to improve.
- Provide support for writing and testing software modules and integrate with other software and/or hardware components.
- Help test and debug applications software and systems.
- Establish fundamental business/technical foundation through practice of internal processes and procedures.
- Server-Side Web API development and Frontend development.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Understanding of computer science fundamentals, software development life cycle and best practices.
- Knowledge of any programming languages such as Java, .Net, Python, ReactJS.
- Analytic and problem-solving skills.
- Self-motivated individual with the ability to prioritize and manage changing priorities.
- Critical thinking and decision-making abilities.
- Good written and oral communication abilities.
- Good time-management skills.
- Preferably a rising junior, senior or a graduate.
Nice to Haves
- Knowledge in developing backend applications in Spring Boot.
- Knowledge in working with any automated testing tools.
- Knowledge with server-side development.
The Federal Reserve Bank of Boston is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace and to provide equal employment opportunities to all persons without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, disability, or military service.
All employees assigned to this will be subject to FBI fingerprint/ criminal background and Patriot Act/ Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) watch list checks at least once every five years.
The above statements are intended to describe position the general nature and level of work required of this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or skills associated with this position or the personnel so classified. While this job description is intended to be an accurate reflection of this position, management reserves the right to revise this or any job description at its discretion at any time.
For this job, any offer of employment is contingent upon successfully passing a two-phase security screening. The first phase consists of the satisfactory completion of a physical examination (including a drug screening), reference checks, and a security investigation consisting of credit and criminal history checks.
The second phase, which might not be complete until after you begin working at the Reserve Bank, is an additional risk-based security screening determined by the risk rating of the position. Depending upon the sensitivity of the position, this phase may include, and is not limited to, work and residency eligibility verification, and personal interviews with the candidate, references, and prior employers.
All applicants must have resided in the United States for at least three (3) years.
Full Time / Part TimeFull time
Regular / TemporaryTemporary
Job Exempt (Yes / No)No
Work ShiftFirst (United States of America)
The Federal Reserve Banks believe that diversity and inclusion among our employees is critical to our success as an organization, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. The Federal Reserve Banks are committed to equal employment opportunity for employees and job applicants in compliance with applicable law and to an environment where employees are valued for their differences.