Agile Train Engineer
Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta
CompanyFederal Reserve Bank of RichmondWhen you join the Federal Reserve—the nation's central bank—you’ll play a key role, collaborating with leading tech professionals to strengthen and protect our economic, financial and payments systems. We invest in contemporary and emerging technology each year to support the Federal Reserve and our economy, and we’re building a dynamic and diverse team for our future.
Bring your passion and expertise, and we’ll provide the opportunities that will challenge you and propel your growth—along with a wide range of benefits and perks that support your health, wealth, and life. In addition to competitive compensation, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes tuition assistance, generous paid time off, top-notch health care benefits, child and family care leave, professional development opportunities, a 401(k) match, pension, and more. All brought together in a flexible work environment where you can truly find balance.
About the Opportunity
As the Release Train Engineer you will be responsible for aligning the flow of value through the ART to deliver exceptional capabilities and solutions. You will work with the Solution Train Engineer, Product Management and Leadership to determine strategic direction and tactical implementation. You will be part of a strong, collaborative team in a fast-paced, environment that is focused of quality development and delivery. You will be a leading voice in the continuing transformation of our organization to the SAFe/Agile Framework and alignment to the Value Stream.
What You Will Do:
The Release Train Engineer will possess a view of the entire development and delivery process of the ART while focusing on its integration with the Operational Value Stream, inclusive of all aligned developmental value streams. You will provide the ‘connective tissue’ between the customers intent and the actual implementation and establish the critical connectivity between product leadership and actual implementation. A Release Train Engineer will also help ART stakeholders and Scrum Master’s understand their impact on the bigger picture of the solution development, establishing the right balance of centralized vs decentralized decision-making. You will also train and coach Scrum Master’s ensuring synchronization on operationalizing the ART as part of the Solution.
Job tasks include but are not limited to:
- Plan, lead, organize, and motivate the Agile Release Train
- Facilitate successful delivery of business value within an agile framework, with the focus of managing dependencies between the teams on the train
- Facilitate Scrum of Scrums, PO Sync and/or ART sync, PI Planning Events, System Demo, PI retrospectives
- Track, escalate, and/or remove ART-level impediments, track and report on feature progress while driving continuous improvement at the ART level
- Collaborate with Product Managers and Product Owners to support short and long-term release planning and keep Program backlog healthy and prepared for execution
- Partner with release management in production deployment activities
- Coach Scrum Masters, Product Owners and other stakeholders on Agile best practices
- Work with Product Owners and Product Managers to drive development of release and feature roadmaps
- Identify, manage, and mitigate risks for the ART. Escalate when necessary to address the blockers.
- Aggregate team(s) PI Objectives into an overall Program set of objectives to demonstrate alignment of work with Product Roadmaps
- Facilitate decision-making regarding priorities and trade-offs by partnering with Product Management and Architects
- Act as a change agent to drive the acceptance and adoption of agile using a structured approach
- Establish release coordination activities by establishing a rhythm of release activities within the ART
- Facilitate the Release Train-level Planning by engaging with all relevant stakeholders and teams
- Ensure visibility and effective interactions using ceremonies and tools that reach across the ART to facilitate speedy responses to impediments
- Connect ARTs with the right stakeholders as needed to ensure ARTs continually have everything they need to plan and work effectively
- Establish Release Train flow measures by measuring the flow of high level items (epics and capabilities at the train level to reveal development and delivery performance
- Assist the ART with connecting to their customers to ensure customer input is aggregated at a higher level
- Assist organizational leadership with alignment of the ART to the Value Stream and the relentless and continuous improvement of our ways of working
- Responsible for understanding and applying risk management discipline in decision making, and responsible for the ART’s risk management.
- Bachelor's Degree/Master’s Degree preferred or equivalent experience as a Release Train Engineer or Advanced Scrum Master with a minimum of 5+ years Agile methodology experience in a large enterprise environment.
- In addition to having acquired all training and certification for the role of Scrum Master (some lesser certifications may be expired) RTE’s are expected to complete the following:
- SAFe Lean Portfolio Management
- SAFe Release Train Engineer
- Certified Agile Leadership
- Working knowledge in Product Management, Test Driven Development, Continuous Integration, Continuous Testing, Continuous Delivery General knowledge of department/ business lines, Reserve Banks, and / or System operations, policies, procedures and technologies.
- Experience with Continuous Improvement methodologies, i.e., Six Sigma, Root Cause Analysis, Value Stream Mapping
- Exceptional organizational and communication skills, creativity, attention to detail (compliance), and negotiation skills to interpret results, develop communications and recommend improvements. Able to present information within all settings in a credible, confident and influential manner. Communicates in a concise, direct and purposeful way.
- Demonstrable mastery in various competencies of Teaching, Mentoring, Transformation, and Facilitation and embody a commitment to support the growth and development of others.
- Coaching: Actualizes potential – in context directed at team
- Facilitating: builds consensus – in context directed at team
- Mentoring: Conveys Wisdom – Out of context and usually one on ones with Scrum Masters and others on the train
Discover the Reason Why So Many People Love It Here!
When you join the Richmond Fed, not only will you find a challenging and purposeful career, you’ll also have access to a wide range of benefits and perks that support your health and wealth, including:
- Great medical benefits
- Pension and 401(k) with employer match
- Paid time off
- Tuition reimbursement
- Employee resource networks
- Paid volunteer leave
- Flexible work options
- Onsite amenities that make working here fun!
Other Requirements and Considerations:
- Candidates should review the Bank’s Employee Code of Conduct to ensure compliance with conflict of interest rules and personal investment restrictions.
- If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please notify email@example.com.
- Employees who work at and/or visit another Federal Reserve entity or outside business as part of their job duties are required to comply with any onsite safety and health protocols of those organizations (including, but not limited to, requirements to vaccinate or test, mask, social distance, etc.).
- No Key Point: Sponsorship is not available for this role. Selected candidate is subject to special background check procedures.
- The hiring range is $112,500 – $123,750 annually.
- For candidates outside Richmond, VA, listed hiring and salary ranges may be adjusted based on your geographic location.
- Salary offered will be based on the job responsibilities and the individual’s knowledge, skills, and experience as defined in the job qualifications.
- Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Interested candidates are strongly encouraged to apply by February 16, 2024.
Full Time / Part TimeFull time
Regular / TemporaryRegular
Job Exempt (Yes / No)Yes
Job CategoryProject Management Family
Work ShiftFirst (United States of America)
The Federal Reserve Banks believe that diversity and inclusion among our employees is critical to our success as an organization, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. The Federal Reserve Banks are committed to equal employment opportunity for employees and job applicants in compliance with applicable law and to an environment where employees are valued for their differences.