Director, Regulatory Risk- Mortgage
- Serves as the principal mortgage compliance officer with mortgage compliance, Adverse Action Group / second review team, self assessment team and Quality Assurance dept reporting to this role. Position is the primary contact for all audits & exams, Corporate Compliance, Enterprise Risk and General Counsels office. Directs, manages, develops and implements Synovus Mortgage regulatory and compliance management program. Ensures full compliance with all applicable laws, regulations and internal policies and procedures and acts as the principal compliance officer for mortgage lending.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plans, directs and manages activities required for the preparation of regulatory examinations. Serves as the primary contact at mortgage for Synovus Enterprise Risk Management responding to inquiries and requests. Seeks clarification of requests and organizes information exchange protocols.
- Leads the implementation of corrective actions resulting from noted deficiencies. Assists in tracking business unit progress and completion of required regulatory corrective actions and partners with Synovus Mortgage business units to ensure adherence to remediation plans.
- Provides guidance and advice to Synovus Mortgage leadership and business units regarding compliance risks and controls related to ongoing and proposed business activities.
- Assists in the development of communication plans to support Synovus Mortgage compliance and regulatory activities. Participates in the development of a communications approach and presentations for formal and informal regulatory discussions. Promotes information sharing at all levels of the Synovus Mortgage organization.
- Works with the General Counsel's office and external attorneys regarding mortgage-related legal matters.
- Prepares reports on compliance and regulatory activities and progress and provides updates to senior management
- Manages the Synovus mortgage complaint process and serves on the Synovus Complaint Management Steering Committee.
- Manages the Synovus mortgage Compliance Testing Manager to ensure the testing team is functioning as the second line of defense in order to mitigate risk and exposure within Synovus mortgage.
- Manages the Synovus Mortgage Compliance Manager to ensure daily operational compliance issues are resolved and the Adverse Action Group is dispositioning files appropriately and timely.
- Maintains knowledge of risk trends and changes in laws and regulations. Provides Synovus Mortgage leadership and team members with training regarding lending-related laws and regulations.
- Provides leadership, direction and growth opportunities to members of the department, performing those responsibilities in accordance with the Company's policies and applicable laws. Responsible for interviewing, hiring, planning, assigning or directing work, appraising performance, disciplining team members and resolving problems. Works with the Human Resources Department to resolve more complex team member-related issues.
- Actively participates on Synovus corporate-wide committees/councils as well as Synovus Mortgage committees/councils. Synovus corporate committees/councils include; Operational Risk Committee, Regulatory Compliance Risk Committee, CRA/Fair Lending Council, Complaint Management Program Steering Committee. Synovus Mortgage councils/committees include; Executive Committee, Quality Assurance Committee, Synovus Mortgage Exception Management Council, Investor Reimbursement Review Committee, and Hedge Committee.
- Responsible for the tracking, monitoring, and reporting of pricing and fee exceptions at Synovus Mortgage. Serves as the chairperson to the Synovus Mortgage Exception Management Council. Assists in identifying corrective action for any pricing/fee exception discrepancies within Synovus Mortgage.
- Assists in providing compliance-related training to all areas of Synovus Mortgage.
- Serves as the Risk Liaison between the business unit (BU) leader(s) and the functional risk areas, responsible for communicating and promoting the understanding of risk management and compliance requirements within the BU, informing the business line executive of material changes in risk or control breakdown deficiencies, and communicating self-testing results, breach of KRI's and loss/near miss incidents to the appropriate risk function in a timely manner. Participates in BU risk assessment activities and verifies that ongoing risk triggers and policy exceptions are tracked and reported appropriately. Monitors the business unit's resolution of internal and external issues and exam findings.
Performs other related duties as required.
The information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Synovus is an Equal Opportunity Employer supporting diversity in the workplace.
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration or other related discipline
- Ten years of mortgage compliance/regulatory experience including developing and implementing policies and procedures to comply with applicable laws and regulations and preparing an organization for regulatory examinations OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Certified Regulatory Compliance Manager (CRCM)
Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of state and federal mortgage compliance laws and regulations and related disclosure rules associated with applicable regulations.
- Strong knowledge and familiarity with federal laws governing residential mortgage lending including: Truth in Lending Act, Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, Home Ownership and Equity Protection Act, Homeowners Protection Act, Bank Secrecy Act, USA Patriot Act, Gramm-Leach Bliley Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, FACT Act, Equal Credit Opportunity Act and the Fair Housing Act.
- Strong knowledge of Home Mortgage Disclosure Act (HMDA) filings.
- Strong knowledge of lending rules and policies and mortgage banking operations.
- Knowledge and understanding of the rules for VA, HUD and USDA lending.
- Knowledge and understanding of the role of regulators.
- Knowledge and understanding of mortgage industry and selling loans in secondary market.
- Knowledge and understanding of project management principles and organization planning.
- Familiarity with compliance/regulatory software products/systems such as ComplianceEase, Allregs or BankersOnline.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office software products.