Director of State Affairs
Every day, Global Payments makes it possible for millions of people to move money between buyers and sellers using our payments solutions for credit, debit, prepaid and merchant services. Our worldwide team helps over 3 million companies, more than 1,300 financial institutions and over 600 million cardholders grow with confidence and achieve amazing results. We are driven by our passion for success and we are proud to deliver best-in-class payment technology and software solutions. Join our dynamic team and make your mark on the payments technology landscape of tomorrow.
Summary of This Role
Drives development and implementation of corporate policy through strategic partnerships with government and industry groups for a specific market segment (prepaid, issuing, merchant/acquiring). Functions as the organization's Subject Matter Expert (SME) for legislative and public policy matters. Serves as a liaison to, and fosters relationships with, the organization's Corporate and Segment leadership, Government Relations (GR) team and various legislative bodies, governmental regulatory agencies and specific Trade Organizations/Associations. Prepares reports and presentations to include talking points, position papers and background research; providing thought leadership and recommendations. Works with leaders of government and industry to develop recommendations for new policies, monitor government initiatives and advocate for specific plans to advance the organization's objectives. Plans, prepares, and executes special events including campus tours and meetings with elected officials and their staffs.
What Part Will You Play?
- Monitors legislation and regulatory activities in all fifty states with focus on various market segments and subjects of interest. Prepares and updates the greater Government Relations (GR) team on an issue tracking dashboard that tracks the proposal, development, and analysis of legislative and regulatory activities. Advises corporate and segment leadership and greater GR team of potential affects by these actions.
- Manages complex interactions between the organization and domestic entities. Oversees the preparation of in-depth analyses and develops/implements recommendations for new policies and advocacy plans-of actions in support of the organization's strategic goals and vision globally. Conducts/leads proactive research efforts to determine how proposed domestic/international legislative actions will impact the organization. Develops, sets and monitors metrics to measure the organizations' focused participation in industry and trade organizations/ associations. Assists in the selection process of industry and trade organizations/ associations in which to participate. Develops and recommends courses of action to implement influence strategies for legislative and regulatory interventions, including Political Action Committee (PAC) expenditures.
- Executes influence strategies, as a lobbyist, for communicating with, educating and influencing legislators, regulators and other policymakers.
- Communicates input from corporate and segment leadership and greater GR team to various legislative bodies, governmental regulatory agencies and specific Trade Organizations/ Associations. Serves as the point of contact for public officials and the organization's corporate and segment leadership, GR team, and specific Trade Organizations/ Associations. Represents the organization's interests on domestic and international committees and tasks forces.
- Leads teams in the development of special and information products that support the organization's GR strategy and connect government representatives with appropriate Subject Matter Expert (SME). Assists in the development and implementation of the domestic and international advocacy strategy for the organization and promotes the company's perspectives and projects as the domestic and international-level SME. Assists in the development and implementation of programs to promote and increase PAC participation.
What Are We Looking For in This Role?
- Master's Degree
- Relevant Experience or Degree in: political science, economics, communications, law, public relations or equivalent
- Typically Minimum 10+ Years Relevant Exp
- specific market segment(s) (prepaid, issuing, merchant/acquiring)
- Doctoral Degree
- Juris Doctorate (JD) Law
- Typically Minimum 10+ Years Relevant Exp
- regulatory compliance specific to the payments and financial services industry, to include Canada/Mexico; former legislative director or staff lead for a member of congress, committee or caucus
What Are Our Desired Skills and Capabilities?
- Skills / Knowledge - Having broad yet in-depth expertise and unique knowledge, uses skills to set and ensure success of company objectives and principles and to achieve goals in creative and effective ways within environments and situations that are complex and difficult. Having ownership of a function, major account or matrix management responsibilities, uses knowledge to ensure success, strengthen relationships, expand the business through key initiatives, and lead matrix teams on complex projects. Barriers to entry such as technical committee and senior management review exist at this level.
- Job Complexity - Works on issue that impact design/selling success or address future concepts, products, or technologies. Creates formal networks with key decision makers and serves as external spokesperson for the organization with key accounts, agencies, partners, vendors, and sales prospects.
- Supervision - Exercises wide latitude in determining objectives and approaches to critical assignments.
- Lobbying/Advocacy - knowledge of lobbying/advocacy activities; ability to influence, educate and create awareness of policy impacts
- Issue Management - ability to utilized and manage automated issue management tools used to identify, track, categorize, prioritize, and report on legislative issues
Global Payments Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
Global Payments provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other basis protected by law. Those applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application and/or interview process should notify a representative of the Human Resources Department.